Monday, December 6, 2010

Levitate

Title: Levitate
Date: October 2007
Medium: Watercolour pencils on paper 

I was going through some rough times in the fall of 2007. I had just moved to a new city for grad school. I struggled immensely with school. Always having been an A student I took it hard when professors either ignored me or made me feel extremely stupid. I had no friends or family in the city to draw on for support. I became more and more withdrawn, isolated and depressed. Loneliness became palpable and manifested in tears and art. 
My art took on new form during this time. It brought my first forays into colour. This piece was a product of a particular phase where everything I drew took on jagged lines and empty eyes. In retrospect, it seems to speak to the hollowness I felt every single day.

2 comments:

  1. Jessica: This is a lovely piece. Great control over a difficult medium. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for commenting :D!!

    Ill be posting new things soon! Please come by and check it out!

    ReplyDelete